I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints!
Follow my Mission here!

Friday, October 17, 2014

GOSH, I love it here! It is amazing! The weather is perfect and I love that it rains every night between 6 and 8 just like clock work. Mexico City is such a big party town, we can hear all the parties at night, spanish music so many people. The drive from the airport was the scariest experience of my life! I have never seen so many crazy drivers all in one place. But seriously, Mom there are some gorgeous birds here. I love watching them and when I see a super colorful one, I think of you. I will try to get the birds in pictures, but we are only allowed to take pics on our p day. My district leader gets our mail and he left it in his room :( ..... but I have read your funny letters, they really made me laugh mom. Thank you so much! You would be so proud of me mom my closet is completely organized and all my clothes are clean...

The flight to Atlanta was hard and when I got to my terminal, there was a big group of missionaries all waiting for the flight to Mexico City. When I first saw them and walked away because I was crying. After I got myself under control it was so good to have so many other Missionaries to travel with, in fact I haven't cried since …..... until right now!

I love my district and my zone, I really do. There are so many Missionaries here! They separate us into branches and the first counselor in my branch interviewed me this past Sunday, he talks sooooo much my interview lasted about 3 times as long as my companions.
I miss home but I am the senior companion in my trio and the other girls are so home sick that I don't want to make them sad. So I try not to be homesick or at least not to show how homesick I feel. Today was the first time I have cried since meeting up with all the Missionaries while getting on the plane to Mexico. I have been way to busy to get too homesick and I as the senior companion, I try to focus on my companions' needs more then my own.

Teaching in Spanish is super hard, but my teacher says, “Practice makes a teacher”, He says that is a popular Mexican saying so I just have to believe that. :) Spanish is coming along, teaching in Spanish is quite tricky and sometimes embarrassing. We get to teach real discussions with investigators, and I was asked to say the opening prayer for the discussion. WELL when I started praying, I mispronounced a word and accidentally said something not so nice... but I have learned so much. We get to go to the temple visitors center while we are here....

Seriously, it is so hard and part of me wants to come home. I know I have so much I can gain and to share with others and that keeps me excited to learn more. It is just so different here, the fruit is different! The salad... different, all the food... different! BTW, bolognese (yes, that is how its spelled) lasagna is the grossest thing ever! Today we had oatmeal and I know it sounds weird, but it just made me sooo sad because it reminded me of home. I have learned so much already. HEY, they have Japanese peanuts here! I guess that makes sense since they are really a Spanish thing. I will buy some and send them when I get to Washington D.C..

On Sunday we watch videos and it reminds me of home and how we would always watch Saturdays Warrior and some of those other silly Mormon movies ...

I miss you all so much, but I memorized this scripture and I feel like it really helps. I only know it in Spanish, Philippine 4:13 Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece, it pretty much says in Christ I have strength... Well I will write next week I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!

Hermana Atkinson
Missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Washington D.C. South Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment