I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints!
Follow my Mission here!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I Made it to Washington D.C.

I MADE IT TO D.C. ... The plane ride coming back to the states was amazing!  I will miss Mexico but I am so happy to be back in the States.  I was traveling with a large group of missionaries, but my seat assignment had me sitting FAR away from the rest of the group.  This seating arrangement left me a lot of missionary opportunities,  which probably would have been better if I actually knew how to speak Spanish..... oh well. The first night in D.C., we went to the mission home and ate lasagna and salad. BOXED LASAGNA has never tasted so good. The food at the MTC wasn't horrible, it was just ..... well, different.  In fact I kind of miss the verde enchiladas.....

We slept in a motel (never thought a motel bed would be soooooo comfortable) but it was amazing.  We had a transfer meeting and I met my training sisters... I AM IN ANOTHER TRIO!!!!!!! They are both super cool. I must need a lot of help because I keep ending up in trios.

We live in Alexandria, VA. The members here are awesome. My first night, we went to the Castanetas. They are super sweet. They tried to help me understand Spanish by speaking VERY slow.  They invited us to stay for dinner at their house. INTERESTING MEAL!  When we sat down at the dinner table, Jorge (he is 31) put a bowl of grasshoppers down on the table... GRASSHOPPERS! So I ate some...  Surprisingly, they weren't that bad. I am in a new environment, and figured, Hey, I will try something new. I won't be eating them again aanytime soon, but it was fun to try. I am not sure if that was a "you are a new missionary" meal or if they actually eat grasshoppers on a regular basis? .

I am really bad at telling people I am full, and find that the members get offended if you don't eat enough. I finally offered to take some of the food home. This made her feel better,  and I did eat it later. The Spanish Speaking people in this mission are so loving. They are always trying to feed you, give you stuff and love to hug. I have hugged more people this week then I did at my high school graduation.

Maribell, one of my investigators, is so sweet.  She tries to speak in English, I try to speak Spanish and somehow we understand each other.  I know that the power of God is helping us communicate. I am sooo excited to be here and to learn Spanish and to do everything that this short period in my life has to offer.

Since I have two Companions, I don't talk a lot (I know, hard to believe). I am slightly afraid to say something wrong. I know in time, with the Lord's help, I will learn the Spanish Language. I talk to the member's, they understand that I am just learning. I am very good at saying, "I am trying to learn Spanish". 

Life is Great ...
Love all of you,
Hermana Atkinson
Missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Washington D.C. South Mission

Random Thoughts ...

My training sisters are CRAZY.

When we are in SCARY Neighborhoods, I repeat 2 Timothy 1:7 "For god hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of love and of power and of a sound mind."

I have an iPad, and will have a Facebook Account in two months.

I am about 8 miles from the White House. I can go to D.C. once every Transfer. (Every 6 weeks)

My P-Day activity this week is Going to the Masonic Temple.

Missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Washington D.C. South Mission

Missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Washington D.C. South Mission

Missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Washington D.C. South Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment