I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints!
Follow my Mission here!

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Smelling the Roses ...

August 17, 2015

This title is in place thanks to TERRY THE GREAT.... I was emailing him today and I couldn't really think of anything to write about because we really just went finding this week. I expressed my want of change to Terry and this was his reply:
Change is the spice of life Karlie!  It is nice to get a new companion, but it is more of an adventure to get a new area.  A few more weeks and you will get moved, I am sure.  Work hard Kid!  and remember to smell lots of roses too!
So there are many aspects of this email that I love. Lets start at the beginning. Change is the spice of life. I love this because being in a Spanish  speaking mission I receive a lot of food that has different spices then I am used to eating. But honestly I have learned to love the taste of lime and pepper as much as I love lasagna ( for those of you who don't know me very well I love lasagna.... Especially my mom's it is amazing) But I made a salad this week to eat and it went like this: one tomato, hand full of lettuce, one avocado, some apple some eggs, cheese, ham, lime juice and seasoning salt. I Have just fallen in love with the food from Mexico, El Salvador, Bolivia and Peru. When we go out to eat, we get Peruvian chicken. So that is why I like the spice comment.
But what is the spice of life? According to TERRY THE GREAT, it is change. On my mission I have changed a ton. How I speak is different how I dress is different. My friendships have changed. not saying that all my old friendships are gone but they have all changed. And all of these changes have made the way I think about life different. Before I was used to my life, which was a really good meal. I have now found other things in life that I love. Before my mission I would have laughed at you if you told me that I would want to go into the ghetto because I have friends there, but now it is true. I want to go in to places that before my mission would have scared me. I have learned the difficulty that a single mom has raising 4 kids. I have seen how drinking can tear a family apart. I have seen how words really do hurt people. But along with all those hard and sad things I have seen a mother cry at her sons baptism. I have seen how a simple game of soccer can fix most problems. How kids can go from angry to happy by kind words. How stumbling over my Spanish and having them correct me helps them feel better. How a simple act of service really changes everyone's perspective. Those are the roses. The roses that smell the sweetest in life are  the things that make you laugh. The things you look at and smile. I have seen a man and his pregnant wife look at each other and in uncertain circumstances trust, that together with The Lord, that they can make it. I have seen faith grow and most of all I have seen myself change. I cant explain it right now but I am changing and at time I don't like it because change hurts, on the other hand I love that I am becoming who the Lord wants me to be .
I love you all and I hope that the cheesy sentimental stuff is ok for this week.
Food story this week. So many Hispanics think that Americans are used to 5 course meals. We went to this members house and she gave us a huge bowl of soup. Knowing that more was coming, I ate quickly so I didn't have a lot of time to digest. Then Directly following that I waited for the next course and Hermana Christensen looks at me in distress and says... Are they giving us more?... I just laughed then ate a steak, ribs,rice, beets and onion salad. Then I drank an Inca Kola and called it a night. I was really full. By the way everyone needs to try Inca Kola. It is the best
Any way love you lots!
Hermana Karlie Atkinson






No comments:

Post a Comment